Who will decide the use of our community’s most valued resource, our land?
Who ought to be influencing our elected officials on land use issues? Will we leave it to those who make it their full-time business to profit from development? It’s time for the residents, whose only profit is to live amid the beauty and health of the land, to get organized and take responsibility for its stewardship.
The land is Monterey County’s most valuable resource. Planning decisions made today will affect generations to come. While some make it their business to profit from development, whether well-planned or ill-conceived, LandWatch Monterey County commits to work for the public interest.
LandWatch is dedicated to preserving our community’s economic vitality, high agricultural productivity, and the health of our environment. By encouraging greater public participation in planning, LandWatch will work toward these primary objectives:
- Educate the community on growth trends, land use issues, and planning.
- Prevent urban sprawl and encourage the efficient use of land through the designation of Urban Growth Boundaries.
- Promote development patterns that minimize any negative impact on water and air quality.
- Preserve precious farmlands, forests, and open space.
- Require that adequate public facilities and services be in place prior to new development.
- Encourage affordable housing within mixed-income neighborhoods.
To accomplish this important work, your financial support is critical. The quality of life we enjoy today will be either preserved or compromised, depending on your involvement.