American Youth Hostel Water Agreement
The Seaside City Council is considering authorizing an extension of the Amended and Restated Water Assignment Agreement with the State of California Parks and Recreation Department for an additional three years.
- The project reauthorizes an agreement between City of Seaside, Secretary of the Army, Fort Ord Reuse Authority, State Parks, and Central California American Youth Hostels.
- The project extends the Amended and Restated Water Assignment Agreement for three years.
- The City of Seaside is the lead agency.
- In May 2008, the City of Seaside, Secretary of the Army, Fort Ord Reuse Authority, State Parks, and Central California American Youth Hostels entered in to multiple agreements for the exchange of property and other interests in the Former Fort Ord lands.
- The Initial Study for the Mitigated Negative Declaration (1.9MB PDF file) was released in July 2013.
- The resolution of authorization was considered in August 2013.
- The Planning Commission approved this agreement in August 2013. It goes before the City Council in October or November 2013.
Resources at Risk
Resources At Risk
- Loss of Tourist/Revitalization Opportunities
The American Youth Hostel project is a great opportunity for the City of Seaside to attract tourists and revitalize a dilapidated part of the former Fort Ord.
LandWatch engages in the public process in a variety of ways. For this project, here is a list of our engagement strategies.
- Letter: Support for the Agreement (95K PDF file)
LandWatch Monterey County supports executing an Amended and Restated Water Assignment Agreement with the State of California Parks and Recreation Department. (08.15.13)
- Letter: Support for the Project (19K PDF file)
LandWatch Monterey County urges the Commission to support the American Youth Hostel project. LandWatch supports development on existing urban areas within the Former Fort Ord, and we urge the Commission to approve the project. (08.15.13)
- Youth Hostel Open House
Join Hostelling International for a community event on Saturday, September 14th. This pre-renovation open house will run from 11 AM – 2 PM. Refreshments, music, art and hostel plans along with information on the National Monument and Dunes State Park will be available. (09.09.13)